Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Rebel Spirit

I grew up a good kid
Honor rolls
No arrests
Never stole
Tried not to give mom's much trouble
Caught up with power Rangers
Sonic
Ninja turtles
Kiddie shit
Small Apartments
Beginnings humble

So if asked I wouldn't recall
Where this attitude came from
I grew up
Watching movies with Quincy and Monica
Simba and Nala
Got caught in my sentimens
With Nina and Darius
And these are love stories
So I'm not sure where it developed
The rebelliousness

Pops was in the army
Taught yes and no ma'am
Spent a few summers in Coatesville
With my old man
Gave me structure
And a reason to have reasons
Learned the love of chess from my uncle and cousins
And to appreciate the pieces
Losing was death
Or the equivalent of nothing


Around here I heard a saying
Happiness is the pleasure of the ignorant
But still I kept learning till the smell of knowledge grew repugnant
Therein lies the issue
Education been misused
I've been down that yellow brick road and back again
Birthing not a rebel
But a contrarian

No comments:

Post a Comment